Paralysis is a condition where a person loses strength in one or more limbs or groups of muscles, resulting in limited motion or mobility. Depending on the type and severity of the accident, the paralysis may affect different parts of the body, leaving the victim with partial or total paralysis. The level where the injury occurs in the spine determines the extent of the paralysis. These injuries can result from an injury such as a compression fracture of vertebrae to the more serious severed spinal column. The level of medical care required is very specialized depending on the type of injury.

The following are different forms of paralysis:

  • Paraplegia – occurs when the legs are partially or completely paralyzed;
  • Quadriplegia – occurs when both legs and arms are paralyzed.
  • Monoplegia – occurs when one limb is paralyzed.
  • Diplegia – occurs when the same region of the body on both sides are paralyzed.
  • Hemiplegia – occurs when one side of the body is paralyzed.

An estimated 200,000 people suffer from spinal cord injuries in the United States every year. Many of these spinal cord injuries will result in some type of paralysis. Paralysis may be caused by any number of reasons, including:

Many of these accident victims will have to live with permanent physical disabilities, such as paralysis, which will affect all aspects of their lives. Many, if not all, of your day-to-day skills need to be relearned or adapted to fit your changed abilities. Your motor vehicle, home, and workplace may have to be significantly modified. And your activities, and even your job, may have to change to accommodate your new circumstances.

Most of these changes require money, which may be in short supply if you are unable to work at all or can only work reduced hours. And if the spinal injury occurred as the result of an accident that was not your fault, the parties responsible for the accident should pay for your out-of-pocket expenses as well as your pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of the activities which you once participated in. An experienced spinal injury / paralysis lawyer can help you recover monetary compensation for your accident.

HSSH has experienced spinal injury / paralysis lawyers and would be happy to discuss your claim with you. The consultation is free and if we do not make a recovery on your behalf, you owe us nothing.

Just call 800-753-5359 or 806-376-8903 (Texas office) or 303-333-2200 (Colorado office) or contact us.